Make an enquiry with the customer service officers, who will direct you to the TOL officer in the Urban section. The TOL officer will then confirm your record, including whether the TOL has expired for more than one year. The TOL fee to be paid will depend on how many years the TOL has been expired. The applicant will then go to the cashier and pay the required fee, and return the copy of the receipt to the TOL officer who will then issue the new TOL.